hmmmmmmmmm.......: nina's party

Sunday, October 02, 2005

nina's party

So, after much deliberation, and perhaps some trepidation, Nina had a party.

Wow.

First, her new loft is incredible. At first I was expecting some silly Madison-y thing. Then when I saw the outside I was expecting a New Yorky thing. But it's neither. It's its own thing. Which is extremely cool.

Second (this should have been first, but the short one goes first, I always think) the food was absolutley amazing.

I don't know a lot about food (epistemology, nomenclature or anything else) but I know what I like, and what I like is apparently Nina's specialty—viz., extremely fresh flavors blended in such a way that each flavor sets off the others to its greatest advantage--without losing its personality or becoming totally subsumed into the whole.

I could rave about every course of this elegant, tapas-style offering that was truly an offering of the heart. But I'll zero in on my absolute faves, while reiterating that this is not to disparage the other items! If I weren't still drunk I'd write about every single one!

I looked forward to the figs from the moment I heard about them. The figs delivered. And then some. I think I ate at least fifteen. I'm not exaggerating. I spent the whole first half of the party calculating as to whether a decent amount of time had elapsed—whether it would be too piggy to take some more figs. Luscious. Mmmm.

Then, the roast beef & home-made wasabi. Wonderful. Perfect combination. Love that "fusion" thing! Work it girl!!!!!!! I had about six of those. Despite the burn.

And my final favorite had to be the amazing pear berry tart thing-a-ma-jig (did I mention, I don't know from nomenclature?).

The berries were perfect, sweet and tart as berries should be, but the pears were ***phenomenal***. The berries ended up being an exquisite foil for the most delicious pears anyone ever ate.

Ever.

I mean it.

Don't argue.

Could you ever have imagined the *berries* setting off the *pears* instead of vice-versa? Can you believe it's possible? Well, it is and oohhhhhhhhhhhhh, was it ever scrumptious. I had four helpings of that.

Yes, I'm a pig, shut up.

But even better than all the food was being able to see Nina somewhat settled in her new place, somewhat more at peace with herself.

And to see all the friends she has around her. It was so clear that everyone was there not just for the food (though of course that was appealing to say the least!) but because they all love Nina and want her to be okay, and want her to know that they love her. I felt good for her, knowing she was in such good hands.

Thank you Nina for including us among the "assorted odd types." An honor and a pleasure. And best of luck to you in your new place!

4 comments:

nina said...

Waking up in the morning to this beautiful message chokes me up. In the best of ways. Thank you thank you -- for everything.

goblinbox said...

I love good food, hand made by someone who made it just for you. It tastes better that way.

birdfarm said...

Mushlette, absolutely! Nina, what's to thank? We left without doing a single dish! Thanks again from us to you!



...I just have to comment that my "word verification" word is "atckfro." I'm almost laughing out loud.

atckfro: a Black Power hairstyle that may be dangerous to bystanders.

Chris said...

can i come to nina's next food fest? please? i'll practice being fascinatingly entertaining so she won't be bored having me in her home. flying all the way from tucson is worth it for cooking as good as this sounds... (-;