hmmmmmmmmm.......: god again

Monday, June 27, 2005

god again

Thought about the previous post some more. I was irritated when I wrote it, but really, it was the same irritation I have about any issue where people just assume that everyone's the same (& *should* be the same), or else that there are "two sides" of an issue and the "bad" side is just a caricature. Christmas and elections bring out the same irritation in me.

Also, the reason I've tried to stop being an asshole--well, it isn't really what I said. More that I've been trying to become more open and flexible, gentle and tolerant, etc. The Buddhist stuff I've been studying teaches that basically it's rigidity and defensiveness that make us suffer and also make us hurt other people. When I define & defend my own “identity,” I have to define other people to define myself, which gets me tangled up in judgement and all these binary pigeonholes (smart/stupid, nice/mean, good/bad) that I just use to hurt myself and others. But the more I can relax and open, the more I can begin to see that everyone, myself included, is much more than these binaries. The world becomes a much more complex and interesting place.

To illustrate. We were early to the funeral people kept asking about Mom & I told them she was having surgery right then. I was a bit distracted and weird, and Mom's friends saw this and were so kind to me. When at one point I actually started to cry, one of them took my hand and said, “let's pray for her right now...Dear God, be with the surgeon and the anesthesiologist...” and she went through and described the operating room and the people in it and asked God to be with each of them and help them to be peaceful and focused and skilled. (She's a nurse so she could visualize this easily).

Well, the funny thing was that as I imagined all of this with her--imagined each of the people and imagined a peace coming over them, even though I didn't really think we were talking to anyone--the knot in my chest seemed to dissolve. I stopped trying NOT to think of the surgery and just became more present with what was happening and how I felt. I cried more, but I felt more peaceful. She said “Amen,” I said “Amen,” and then “thank you.”

So if I had been an asshole and refused her kindness, on the basis of a wholesale rejection of religion as “not my identity,” then I not only would have hurt her, I would have missed out on something that actually helped me feel better. She knew I would feel better. I just happen to think I felt better because I relaxed and accepted the situation and my feelings about it. She can think that God helped me, and if that makes her happy, that's a good thing, right?

Well, another part of my brain says, “no, it's not--religion is a problem precisely because it makes people rigid and defensive and unable to accept flexibility.” Well. That might be true too. But, it would be inflexible of me to define it that way.

Now my poor brain is tied in a knot.

I have to go eat supper anyway. At lunch Mom made me eat bread out of a can and crappy baked beans, and now she's going to make us eat this special ham that she's convinced we absolutely must try because it's so special. I'm deeply, deeply afraid. I'll let you know how it goes. Oh, and as if this isn't enough misery, later we will be forced to watch a video all about the American flag, that some right-wing group sent Dad in the mail. Is there some way to self-induce a coma that is imperceptible to others?

Damn, I guess I'm being inflexible again. Oops, there's supper.

4 comments:

nadine said...

Yup - re: not black/white. Religion isn't just a problem that causes rigidity. People often turn to religion to help them cope with life. And while some of their mechanisms may be distasteful to you, many are just tools common across many cultures and practises. All she used was positive visualization couched in christian terms, and I think prayer can have a meditative element to it.

I recently talked to a friend about her annoyance about her mom's christianity. I think it helped her to see some of the positive ways the church has helped her mom, and to be warmer and more accepting of religion in her mom's life. This did not diminish in any way the things she doesn't like about how the church has affected her mom. She says it allows her to be more effective when she debates those issues with her mom because she isn't so knee jerk about the whole idea of religion.

Just another way of saying that compassion for humanity and recognition of commonalities doesn't dilute your moral stance or identity.

Franklin said...

I'm very much with Nadine on this. All I can add is a dictum I got from my grandmother (and you may remember how she loves those): "Help kindly offered must be kindly received."

Not necessarily accepted, mind you. Just received. Meaning that even if the help being offered isn't exactly what you want, need, or can make use of, or even agree with, one mustn't react to it as though insult were intended. Not when it was offered with an open heart.

(This is not to say that later on, having made a polite show, you can't roll your eyes if eye-rolling is called for.)

That's grandma's view, anyhow. And it seems to have worked for her.

Darling, I must add I just don't think you have it in you to be an asshole. Which is good, because there are too many of those in the world already. They drive people apart. You bring them together.

Franklin said...

I qualify all of the above mush by saying that if I were offered bread out of a can, I'm not sure I could apply one damn word of grandma's dictum.

Grandma herself would probably cock an eyebrow and say, "What the hell is THIS?"

birdfarm said...

I love you guys, really. Thanks for reading. You're keeping me going here, you & Loopy.

Re the actual content of the posts...

Faustus, I didn't read this til after I had eaten the ham. There was so little else at supper that I ate a lot of it out of sheer hunger.

Bean, I love this phrase: "compassion for humanity and recognition of commonalities doesn't dilute your moral stance or identity." That's something to re-read & ponder...

Franklin, excellent dictum from your grandmother. Very useful especially for when I can't remember all the words in the sentence from Nad's post that I quoted above. :)

Also thank you for your kind words, but I think you are forgetting a lot of occasions when I've been an asshole. But that's a whole other post. But thank you. Really.

Incidentally, is that the same grandmother who said "as with the penis, so with the pasta - not too hard and not too soft"? Have you considered publishing a collection of these pithy sayings, perhaps illustrated in your inimitable style?