hmmmmmmmmm.......: Goblinbox

Monday, June 06, 2005

Goblinbox

Mush Mook posts comments here from time to time; she posts quite often on Franklin's blog. I wandered over to her blog today (titled "Goblinbox") and had to bring back this delightful definition for you all:

Goblinbox (GOB 'lin boks) n., slang. Any kind of device (computer, PDA, cell phone, GameBoy, iPod, or television) that relentlessly sucks up all of your time and attention. If you're reading this, you're utilizing a goblinbox right now. You might even have a S.O. who wishes you weren't pasted to the goblinbox who's hollering, "Turn off that blasted goblinbox and come to bed this very instant!"


Why yes, often enough these are her very words (except for "goblinbox," of which we both were—afaik—heretofore ignorant).

On a tangentially related note, I also discovered that like us, Mush Mook lives on a chunk of land in the country, though she three ponds and we have zero. She also seems to have lots of dogs--exact number as yet undetermined, but here is one of her fun dog pix. Unlike us, she seems to be trying to remodel and also grow useful vegetables. We gave up on anything so pragmatic several years back, after the pumpkins killed the lawn.

But now a last few words about goblins:

She cried "Laura," up the garden,
"Did you miss me ?
Come and kiss me.
Never mind my bruises,
Hug me, kiss me, suck my juices
Squeezed from goblin fruits for you,
Goblin pulp and goblin dew.
Eat me, drink me, love me;
Laura, make much of me:
For your sake I have braved the glen
And had to do with goblin merchant men."


--from Christina Rossetti's "Goblin Market"
illustration by Dante Gabriel Rossetti

2 comments:

goblinbox said...

The pumpkins KILLED THE LAWN!!!?!?!?!

The opposite's true at our place: the lawn kills EV. ER. Y. THING.

(Can you tell I'm in a boisterous mood? Do all the CAPS give it away!)

I have to say I was shocked and pleased to wander over here and find a post about, well, ME! *blush* You've verily made my whole entire day, and balanced out the bad news that I have to migrate my entire site to a new server by Friday.

Smootch!

birdfarm said...

I like the boisterous mood.

The pumpkin vines spread out all over the lawn, and we thought it was so funny that we let them do it. It was kinda interesting--how far will they go? Where will they wander? (Answers: about fifty feet; every-friggin-where).

They didn't kill the whole lawn, just where the vines were, and it came back in the sunny places after a couple years, but I still partly blame the pumpkins for the dead spot under the lilac ("under the lilac" of course being the clue to the other possible cause of dead lawn in that location).

I wish we had ponds. But then again we have enough mosquitos.