hmmmmmmmmm.......: don't let him hear you call him a monkey

Thursday, June 30, 2005

don't let him hear you call him a monkey

Mom made it clear that I was irritating her and she didn't want me to come over at all today.

So I hung out at the hotel in the morning and in the afternoon I took Dad to see a movie...



I didn't figure he'd follow it completely but I hoped he'd at least get the whole Darth Vader transformation thing.

Pre-movie conversation:

"You remember Darth Vader, right?" "Um, yeah." "Well this is how he got to be a bad guy." "Ah."



Post-movie conversation:


Me: "You remember Princess Leia, right? I was her for Halloween in first grade?"

Dad: "No.... no, I don't remember that." [traumatic, but that's another post]

Me: "Big buns on the sides of her head? Long white dress?"

Dad: "Ummmmmm.... no."

Me: "Well, she was one of the babies at the end of the film."

Dad: "Ah."

[silence]

Dad: "I think I did see some of the other [Star Wars films], because—that monkey guy, or whatever he was, I remembered him."

Me: "Monkey????"

Dad: "Yeah, you know, the monkey."

I first think of the weird animal that Obi Wan Kenobi rides around in the big sinkhole. Can't be. General Grievous? He crawls around a bit but he's more bug-like. Grasping for straws, I briefly consider that he's referring to Obi Wan himself (after all he's increasingly hirsute here) before realizing...


Me: "Oh, Chewbacca!!! The big, furry guy?"

Dad: "Right, right, that one."

Me (pleased): "Yeah, that's right—wow, good memory, he was hardly even on the screen this time, but yeah, he was in the other films."

[pause]

Me: "And anyway you remember Darth Vader, right? The guy in black?"

Dad: "Ummmmmm....I don't know."

OK, fine, let's not push it.

2 comments:

Franklin said...

>>Mom made it clear that I was irritating her and she didn't want me to come over at all today.<<

This reminded me of one of Aunt Eva's stays in the hospital, long ago. I asked my mother for a status report and she said, "Well, she must be getting better. She's bitching about the color of the curtains in her room."

I'm going to see if I have a picture of you lying around onto which I can graft Princess Leia's hair. Better yet, you have a photo of you in that costume?

birdfarm said...

god, I hope I do. I meant to ask Mom about it today. that was a formative moment in my life. but again, another post.

by the way, if you image-google "princess leia," you can see how many, many, many other people have (1) grafted their faces onto the bun & blaster look, and (2) dressed up in the gold bikini, for fun and/or professionally.

Also, many people have named their white cats "Princess Leia," but apparently, "Chewbacca" is a more popular name for horses. Go figure.

Regarding the irritation factor--yes, she was well enough to be irritated by everything on Monday. See under "heavily sedated," below.