hmmmmmmmmm.......: glutton for...something

Friday, May 27, 2005

glutton for...something

*grrr*

A few weeks ago I felt I was getting too detached from life, spending too many days in the house going nuts. So I decided to get back into school stuff. Being around school & students is very grounding—even relaxing in a way, if challenging—because it helps me remember what I'm trying to do and why.

It was easy to head back to the "alternative" high school, which is big on "adults from the community" being tutors etc., and where I volunteered for two years before I was a student teacher; in fact, when I called my old cooperating teacher, she said she had been just about to call me and could I please come help some of "my girls" who were having issues. (And they are, one in particular, but that's a whole 'nother story).

On the other hand, I dreaded returning to the middle school where I student-taught last fall. (You can read a few screams of anguish here and here). I didn't want to face my old cooperating teacher there, who used to continuously put me down. Perhaps worse, whenever I tried to voice an idea, she would look at me either as though I was a child speaking out of turn at a grown-up dinner party, or as though I was an alien from another planet suggesting that we vivisect the students.

Anyway, school's almost over for the year and I really did want to see all my former students, so I gathered my courage, did some deep breathing, and went there.

It was as awful as ever, including "reading" period, where the white kids read "Beowulf" while the Black kids slept (I am not making this up, although I should note that Beowulf was "retold" in semi-modern language, and one Black student was not sleeping but rather chewing on his shirt).

At the end of the day I went up to the teacher—who looked slightly less pleased to see me than if I had been Grendel (the monster in Beowulf, as I now know)—and eagerly but nervously told her that I had decided she was right, that I wasn't ready for my own class (her exact words were, "It's scary to think that you could have your own class in the fall"), and that I'd decided to sub for a year. "I didn't want you to worry," I said, stupidly.

Her answer, like so many of her comments, sounded fine on the surface but when you broke it down (you know, like on the menu when you realize that "plump breasts of organic grain-fed cornish game hens lightly robed in sourdough bread crumbs and sauteed to golden-brown perfection" essentially means "fried chicken") she essentially said, "I wasn't worried, I figured you wouldn't last more than a year or two anyway."

I was totally thrown. I got in my car feeling stupid and calling myself stupid and not quite knowing what had hit me.

Finally I understood what had happened. Without realizing what I was doing, I had slunk back there for one last desperate attempt to win her approval.

I had wanted her to smile approvingly and say, "Oh, I think that's a very wise decision; good for you. Another year of preparation will be just what you need, and then you'll be all set to go out and be a very fine teacher indeed."

Mind you, this is the woman who, on my last day of teaching, when I said, "Sorry if I've been difficult for you," said, "Oh, well, I've had worse." And when my supervisor asked her what my best qualities are, she said, "She knows her own weaknesses and she takes criticism well," which, in "fried chicken" language, means, "At least she knows she's inept and doesn't mind me telling her so."

In other words, there was no way on earth that any rational being could have thought she would ever throw me the tiniest bone.

I'm trying not to be mad at myself for hoping she would. But I am frustrated because I wish, wish, wish, WISH that I did not give a flying fuck what she thought, or anyone else for that matter, instead of being someone who is so thoroughly undone by disapproval and criticism, even minor annoyance.

*sigh*

and *grrr* too.

Well, off to see "Revenge of the Nerds," I mean the Sith. I'll let you know how it goes.

4 comments:

Ang said...

I do the exact same thing - agree with a disapproving other in order to somehow ally myself with her/him. This "cooperating" teacher is a piece. Of. Shit. She is clearly a miserable person, and most likely a miserable teacher at that. She is also, no doubt, jealous of your passion and intellect and tries her damndest to write it off as you being too... something for your own good, to squash these feelings. Deep down, she knows that she's the inept one, but has so much of her miserable existence invested into sucking so hard and working within a corrupt and unreasonable system that she can't even see what she's doing to you, not really, not in a true way. She is the lowest form of dukie, and, as you well know, you don't need her approval to know that you're good at your job.

Now I'm steamed.

birdfarm said...

Thanks Ang, this is actually really helpful, because I just am not able to figure her out AT ALL.

Like many teachers she has perfected a sort of surface fake wonderfulness. Underneath it my gut sense is that she's perpetually enraged, but this is such a contrast with the surface that I can't quite believe what my gut's telling me.

If I could just believe what you say here--that she's "jealous of [my] passion and intellect" and that "Deep down, she knows that she's the inept one"....If I could believe that, it would really help. But because I can't get a "read" on her, because I can't get a sense of what her deeper feelings are or what's going on in her head, I end up feeling like she can see through me and judge me in some godlike way.

I could start by realizing that whenever she gave me crap for my ideas....well, maybe that was her only option--because if she accepted my ideas as valid it would undermine the way she's been doing things for twenty-plus years.

That's what I hate most about teachers. They're so fucking defensive. And when will I learn that the ones who repeatedly say that they "always like to learn from the younger folks coming in," are the ones who will tear you limb from limb before they'll allow themselves to learn from you.

Anyway, thanks Ang, this is helpful. I'll just keep trying to see it this way.

Susan said...

Birdfarm--I created a blogger account just so I could respond to your post. I have been teaching for nearly six years now. That's not long by many folks' standards, but it's long enough for me to know a few things about teaching and about veteran teachers. First of all, let me just say it is rarely the kids who make me want to cry, but I've left in tears because of parents, guidance councelors, and other teachers. Thank goodness for the kids! Second, having a crappy coordinating teacher during the student-teacher phase of the process is most likely detrimental to the teaching-health of a future teacher. My cooperating teacher was wonderful, and I learned more in that semester than in all of my ed classes combined (to that point, anyway). My friend had a crappy cooperating teacher, and now she's a lawyer in D.C. Don't look to Ms. Pain-in-the-ass. Look to yourself. Do you want to teach? Do you want to get to know a group of students and share with them your love of learning and your awesome sense of humor? Then DO IT! (BTW--I think a sense of humor is really the most important survival tool for any teacher). The best advice I ever got about teaching was "Don't take anything personally." I did an excellent job applying that to my relationships with my students. I still struggle with that advice when faculty is concerned! But I know inside that no matter how bad I may screw up a class, a semester, or a school year, I get to try again, and learn from my mistakes. With the right attitude (that is, a positive one full of nothing but hope towards your students) you can't break the kids. They'll be fine. And if they'll be fine, you should be fine, too. Don't let some dried up ol' (can't think of suitable bad term for that woman you worked with) break you. Save your energy for the kiddos. Don't sub--TEACH. You can't learn to be a bettter teacher unless you actually get into the classroom and run things. It is an INCREDIBLE experience. Finally, there are some awesome veteran teachers out there. Stear clear of the grumpy, negative ones; that's all. They sap the life out of their students. You need to keep your spirit up for when those poor kids come to YOUR class after being abused in hers!
Sorry to ramble on so, but you've struck a passionate chord with me.

birdfarm said...

Wow, Sue, thank you. Wow. (Franklin's sister, for those who haven't been reading his blog)

You asked, "Do you want to teach?"
Yes, absolutely. I know this is what I want to do; nothing else in the universe is anywhere near as interesting, intriguing, exciting, and inspiring to me. I love being around students; I love thinking about school and learning, and I love thinking about what to teach, planning lessons, all that stuff.

I'm with you on the challenges--for some reason I can be almost infinitely patient with the kids, but I have zero tolerance and a lot of rage and despair when I come up against all the cruel aspects of the school system, how much it can hurt students, teachers, parents, everyone, & how much it encourages us all to hurt each other.

I agree completely about "Don't take anything personally." That's one of my pet peeves about so many teachers--they seem to think the students are tormenting them on purpose, and as soon as they feel like the victim, then they really become vicious toward the kids. I think it's a type of psychosis--the teacher sees herself as tiny and vulnerable and fighting back against these monstrous children, but really, she's the one who is hugely powerful, and what she sees as "self-defense" is incredibly destructive.

I tried really hard not to take anything personally that this woman said or did. I tried to laugh it all off and just "take what I need and leave the rest." Actually, I thought I had succeeded in doing this, but after the incident I described last week, I'm starting to think that I was deceiving myself about how easy it was for me to ignore her influence.

Regarding the question of what I should do for the fall...I'm going to turn that into another post, I think, rather than babble on in the comments. But a big thank you to Sue, and thanks again to Ang--I've been mulling over your comments since I read them Sunday morning, and trying and trying to see things as you describe. I asked Loopy what she thought and she said, "Well, the only reason anybody puts anybody down is because they feel bad about themselves, right?" Yeah... I just have to really make that sink in.