hmmmmmmmmm.......: the sound of springing

Sunday, April 10, 2005

the sound of springing

tonight after everybody went home we got in the hot tub. after we got out and closed it up, I was standing on the steps looking at the sky and Loopy was smoking on the porch. I heard this quiet noise, leaves rubbing together very gently--I thought, it must be some small animal--frogs already? I went & got the flashlight.

"What are you doing?" said Loopy drowsily. "I want to see who's rustling in the leaves on the patio," I answered. She didn't respond--she's used to me after 12 years.

I went back down to the patio and listened--still rustling, the dry oak leaves quietly moving against each other--so I turned the light on suddenly, trying to catch the unknown animal(s).... nothing.... just heaps and drifts of leaves... and that soft rustling. I looked and looked, shone the light here and there... the rustling wasn't in any one place, it was all around, in every direction; it didn't cease when I walked closer; there was no sudden silence or scurrying to indicate that an animal had detected my approach... there was no wind at all--the trees were motionless overhead, and I couldn't see any leaves moving (usually even in a light breeze, one leaf will flap a bit to explain that the sound is a breeze not an animal). Could it be...? It seemed impossible to think that I was hearing plants growing. But after some investigation, I concluded that there was no other explanation for this sound, all around me. And it didn't seem impossible; the sharp shoots of bulbs will grow right through fallen leaves, puncturing them neatly--there must be some moment when the hole is made, and it must make some sound. On an infinitely tinier scale, it must be like tiny earthquakes--two surfaces press against each other until there's a sudden movement, except instead of one tectonic plate sliding under the other, it's a shoot sliding against a leaf, slowly but inexorably, unstoppably....it was really quite extraordinary.

Then a few days ago I was lucky enough to watch the ice melting on Lake Mendota. The wind was pushing it up onto shore and it was piling up on itself, creaking and breaking in a fascinating tangle. (In case you didn't know, I grew up in Arizona and all this is completely new to me...)

Happy spring--and may you, too, have some moments of wonder and awe, amid all the mud and midterms.

1 comment:

birdfarm said...

another possibility: I read a reference in "Wisconsin Trails" magazine to "the sound of earthworms tilling the soil." I dunno, it sounded pretty leafy (as opposed to muddy), but Loopy seemed to think that's what it was.