hmmmmmmmmm.......: another dead white man

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

another dead white man

Some things about the dead pope. Don't read this if you're a big fan.

I received two interesting but very long emails, which I then posted on the InfoShop website, so I wouldn't have to quote them in their entireity. I really recommend these--check them out:
(Two emails about the) Death of Karol Wojtyla, aka John Paul II

Note that they quote a little snippet of the article at the top, which is a bit confusing if you're not accustomed to it. Start from the second paragraph.


Also on the infoshop site, here is Pope John Paul II: A Political Obituary

And now, a few local stories (some from another post, no you're not imagining it):



This may be a big shock to some of you (not), but I was a Big Geek in college, especially as a freshman, when I used to go every week to "Friday Fellowship," where I sat around with fellow Big Catholic Geeks (90% men, now that I think about it--two of whom turned out to be queer) and discussed/argued finer points of Catholic theology and philosophy (including such topics as, "Is it sinful for CEOs to get paid as much as they do?")(Answer: yes).

Anyway, one week, someone brought in the latest issue of the never-funny Harvard Lampoon, which contained a satirical Catholic mail-order catalog. I believe we argued about whether it was funny or offensive.

The only items I remember are the "Pope on a Rope" (soap) and the "Pope Pius IV Dildo," mostly because that is where I learned the term "dildo."


Last night while I was blogging, Loopy was in the other room watching TV and "ripping Jessica's neck out" (don't worry, it has something to do with knitting). I vaguely heard the pompous tones of newscasters and so on. Then I heard Loopy say, with a big yawn as the news cuts to commercial, "It's all pope all the time". I thought this was hilarious.


The other day we were in The Sow's Ear, a great knitting store in Verona, and I overheard the following between two girls working behind the counter:

Girl A: "Oh, wow, the pope's dead."

Girl B: (Laughing)(pause)"Well, it's just how you said it."

Girl A: (slightly defensive) "Um, actually, I'm kinda bummed about it."

Girl B: (pause) "Oh."




And that is the end..... of the pope.

p.s. Gracie is still barking. And I'm still not working. What an annoying day.

No comments: