hmmmmmmmmm.......: graduation - the funny part - get your pot on the way out

Thursday, June 10, 2004

graduation - the funny part - get your pot on the way out

the kids were all supposed to take home a potted philodendron along with their diploma. ("so what's with the plants?" I asked someone. "Oh, it's a symbol of their growing, their life, their hope for the future," the person replied seriously. Yeah, well, duh, that part is obvious--what I wanted to know was--oh never mind). But they kept forgetting (or maybe "forgetting"?) to pick up their philodendron as they moved back to their seats. Since I was the last one in the teacher gauntlet, I was asked to remind them.

It just struck me as absolutely hilarious that after all my stressing out this week about somehow creating MEANINGFUL final moments with these students--somehow saying the right thing that would send them off on a positive path in life (as if I had that much power!)--it turned out that my absolute last words to all these fine young people were on the subject of philodendrons. Some of them were crying, some were giggling, some were looking at me like "who the hell are you?", some thanked me warmly for some service rendered, but regardless, to each in turn, I gave the final benediction: "Congratualtions...good luck... and don't forget your plant." A fitting end indeed!

No comments: