hmmmmmmmmm.......: the dreamer

Sunday, June 27, 2004

the dreamer

look what I found while googling images of ancient goddesses....



They call it "The Dreamer." It's from Malta, circa 3000 BCE, from a 6000-meter-square temple complex. Pretty cool, eh? I never saw it before. So lovely and peaceful!

why am I googling ancient goddesses? for the graphic design for SP's new massage practice which will be called "Changing Woman," particularly catering to pregnant women and new mothers, etc. I'm doing four concepts - mainstream/"medical", mainstream/"feminine," alternative/"nature," alternative/"feminine"...... weird when you think about it, what all these words and dichotomies mean, but never mind.

for the project I've also been reading about labor & childbirth—sounds miserable!. I never seriously considered it so I never thought about it very much before (even back when i wanted kids I always assumed I'd adopt, or Loopy could have them if she wanted to). Seems like a huge amount of work to get ready for it, learn all the different things you're supposed to do at different moments, like what kind of breathing/pushing to do just when the baby's crowning... You can see why people practice so much. And all the unnecessary or harmful things you have to fend off that the doctors want to do. Eep. I guess it's also nothing compared to actually having a kid 24/7--now THAT's hard work, eh, Moms? Maybe I shouldn't be writing this since I know at least one pregnant person reads my blog, but I don't imagine she'd be too put off by my comments (actually I imagine she would laugh at me a little, in friendly way of course), so I'm not going to worry about it. :-)

anyway, for those of you brave & determined enough to be considering the whole concept (and my admiration has gone up about a thousand-fold, believe me!!), I found a really awesome book... Birthing From Within. The title might sound goofy to some of you but trust me the book is awesome. If I were going to have to do this this is the book I'd want. Then it turns out that SP loves this book and is certified (or was?) in teaching women how to have children according to this book's ideas. Pretty cool.....

oops, gotta run. We're gonna go see Stepford Wives!

No comments: