hmmmmmmmmm.......: "bulldog" mix on my ipod

Sunday, October 08, 2006

"bulldog" mix on my ipod

"Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
One moment
Would you capture it or just let it slip?"

- "Lose Yourself," Eminem


"I get knocked down, but I get up again
you're never gonna keep me down..."
- "Tubthumping," Chumbawumba


"As long as i know how to love
I know I will stay alive
I've got all my life to live
I've got all my love to give
and I'll survive
I will survive"
- "I will survive," Gloria Gaynor


"They say in Harlan County there are no neutrals there
You'll either be a union man or a thug for J.H. Blair.
Which side are you on?"
- "Which Side Are You On?" Florence Reece (sung by Pete Seeger)


"People people let’s start together let’s do it right now,
People people let’s love one another I know we know how."
- "Migra," Santana


I put this mix on to encourage me and make me feel tough and ready, as I panic about the interview tomorrow and try to get my materials ready for it. (Why isn't "Eye of the Tiger" on here?)

But, as I type the Eminem lyrics, I consider that, from a Buddhist perspective, buying into hope means buying into fear.

The idea that this is "the best job ever," and the desperate hope to land it, just creates the illusion that if I don't get it, it's all over. This isn't really true at all, nor is it the sanest or most helpful approach.

Maybe that's why I put Tracy Chapman's "Heaven's Here on Earth" on this mix.

"We are the spirit the collective conscience
We create the pain and the suffering and the beauty in this world

Heaven's here on earth
In our faith in humankind
In our respect for what is earthly
In our unfaltering belief in peace and love and understanding

Look around
Believe in what you see
The kingdom is at hand
The promised land is at your feet...."

And as the other songs rotate through I realize that all but the Eminem song really do convey a bigger perspective that is as applicable to getting the job as to not getting it.

If I don't get the job, "I will survive," "I get up again," I'm still on the "right" side of the fight, and "the promised land" is still at my feet.

The anxiety drains away as I feel that I will be okay either way. Back to work.

2 comments:

Ang said...

Remember Bela Karolyi at the Olympics, yelling to Kerri Strug?

"You can dooo eeeet!"

And Lose Yourself may have fit the narrative of the film "do not miss your chance to blow; this opportunity comes once in a lifetime," but Eminem the actual guy worked his butt off for years to get where he is - even the VH1 Behind the music talks about like 11 false starts and stumbles before he blew up.

Why do I know so much about the life stories of Eminem and Hilary Swank? Never mind that. My point is, you're absolutely right. You will be okay either way.

Buena suerte!

miriam said...

excellent mix. tasty good perspectives. yum!