hmmmmmmmmm.......: this breaks my heart

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

this breaks my heart

Yesterday & this morning, interior & exterior, of the Al-Askari mosque, one of Shiite Islam's most holy sites...






(Photo credits weren't given other than what's in the photo itself)

News stories: New York Times - BBC

It's not that human deaths aren't heartbreaking... but this kind of thing clearly takes aim at the heart, and it finds its mark.

I don't feel ashamed to grieve places & things ever since 9/11, because I knew & loved the twin towers (used to work across the street, blah blah blah) and their destruction was a particular kind of heartbreak—different from grief for a person, but profound and intense nonetheless.

Of course, this is much more devastating for people who knew and loved this place, and more than that, venerated it as a sacred and holy site. Some of the crowd scenes of people just standing around outside staring at the ruin hint at the devastation that people are feeling personally...

I could try to say something philosophical about war etc. but I think I'll just leave it at this.

2 comments:

Franklin said...

Why?

WHY?

goblinbox said...

It's a fucking tragedy, and it's horrible. Thing is, it's not little kids toppling one another's tinkertoy towers, this is real stuff.

I still want to send all the players to their corners to think about what they've done. Horrible brats.