hmmmmmmmmm.......: in which Loopy knits through another movie

Saturday, February 11, 2006

in which Loopy knits through another movie

This started out as a comment on Loopy's post but ended up being too long, so I moved it over here.





Yes, we saw Firewall (new Harrison Ford flick) last night, with Marina, everybody's favorite hard-core Stalinist & Balkan war veteran.




Why did we see this film, in which the bad guys take Harrison Ford's family hostage to force him to help them rob the bank where he works?

You may well ask. Well, we were willing to see Nanny McPhee, but Marina refused (surprise surprise). The only other films we could all agree on were Glory Road (basketball flick) or Annapolis (naval academy flick). Your choice of testosterone-soaked crapola.

So anyway. Back to the knitting (which was what Loopy's post was about).

At the climactic moment when the villain dies a gruesome death (c'mon, that's not a spoiler, it's a regular action flick), Marina and I burst out laughing.

I looked over and Loopy was knitting, knitting, knitting, looking absorbed in her work and quite content.

Marina and I also laughed a lot at the "happy family in the sunshine" denoument (nb, we were the only ones in the theater who found any of this amusing). Loopy was still knitting.

That's life at the movies with us crazy kids.

Marina & I agreed that the best line was as follows:

Hero's daughter (looking blonde, spoiled,* and utterly all-American), addressing the villains: "Why do you hate us so much?"
Villain: (derisive snort) "We don't hate you. We just don't care about you."


It was beautiful.

My only other comment on the movie is this. The villains send Harrison Ford into his office, surrounded by coworkers—but they are monitoring his voice, cell phone and email.

So he is unable to communicate with anyone that he & his family are in trouble.

Hello? Dude? There's this thing called a pencil?

I think this says something about modern life, but I can't decide whether it's that we are all so wired that we've forgotten how to connect in person, or that we are all just too stupid to be allowed to live.



god, Harrison Ford is old!


In other Marina news, we went to Muramoto on the square for dinner. Marina hadn't tried sake before. Her comment: "Ugh. During the war, when we made wine out of rice, I thought it tasted terrible because we were doing it wrong. But I guess we did it right after all."

I love that girl. We have to hang out with her more often. Even if all her best stories start with "during the war."

In other movie news, Loopy & I recently saw Walk the Line which was shockingly fantastic. Seriously. It was great. I hate musician biopics as much as the next person, or probably more, but I really loved this film and want to see it again. Go see it while it's still in the theater—you'll enjoy it, I guarantee it. Really, I do—I'll refund your ticket price personally if you don't.

Well, maybe not, but Jessica, I will buy you popcorn.



*Spoiled, the definition: Harrison Ford asks his daughter if he can borrow her pink iPod mini to help save the day. She reluctantly lets him have it, but only if he promises to give it back to her. "OK Daddy, you can save the lives of everyone in our family, but only if I get my iPod back." jeeeesus.

3 comments:

goblinbox said...

Harrison? IS old.

Walk The Line? Surpizingly good, don't you think Reese kicked ass? Did her own singin', too!

Sake? So AWESOME.

I totally wanna see Nanny McPhee.

goblinbox said...

Oh, also, Loopy knits in the dark of a theatre? Is she, like, magic or something?

birdfarm said...

Yes, Reese totally kicked ass, but I gotta say, Joaquin kicked even more ass (and I'm the hard-core dyke who usually can't tell the male characters apart in a movie). And it was such a great story!!! Twooo wuuub... awwww. I'm a sucker for a good love story.

And yes, Loopy is magic. If you don't believe me, just ask Franklin how much, much, much more awful I used to be before Loopy got her magic hands (and the rest of her gorgeous self) on me. Seriously. A huge, awful, uptight, arrogant, delusional snob. Think Simon in Firefly. But with more delusions of grandeur and less sense of humor.

Loopy is magic. Yes. Yes she is.