hmmmmmmmmm.......: why oh why won't Ang & Katy turn on comments?

Friday, July 23, 2004

why oh why won't Ang & Katy turn on comments?

I have so much to say, I'm just bursting with responses to GetYourselfSome[NotAtAll]Boring. Hmmmm... well, just maybe they won't turn on comments because they don't want blabberers like me blabbering all over their blog.... quite reasonable really, when you think about it. Or maybe they are just so secure in their fablogitude* that they don't need to know whether anyone is reading or reacting...admirable really, in that case.

OK, in brief.**

  1. I love Katy. Katy is hilarious and she does some of the same things I do (like playing stupid computer games until we physically injure ourselves....) that I used to think were evidence of my complete insanity, but since Katy does them too, I know it must be OK because Katy is clearly not insane, in fact she is wonderful and very Together. Anyway I love Katy, and why didn't I know this before? (No slight to Ang, but I already knew I loved Ang, who is also hilarious, wonderful and Together, no, don't try to deny it, you are).

  2. Mnemonic devices. I love the Steve Holz one. In high school had one for the countries across the top of Latin America, which I don't really remember, but had something to do with French (French Guiana) kissing Simon (Suriname) LeBon of Duran Duran (horrors!). I even think that the "V" in Venezuela might have been my own name (the horror deepens!)

  3. Illyria. Please tell me what this reference is to. Is it to Twelfth Night? Because (ok, get out your in-flight barf bags) my mother's maiden (how un-PC) name was "Ely," and someone in her family named a town in Ohio after himself, "Elyria," and it was supposed to be a pun on "Illyria," but I don't get it. (Obviously I am a disgrace to pompous rich people everywhere, at least I hope I am). Oh, and don't mention APT in Spr Green to Sir Edwin if you don't want to hear a tirade about the time we went to see something there and it rained. A lot.

  4. Famous supposedly-but-not-to-Ang attractive people...
    • Re Kirsten Dunst - i think she's pretty but Loopy says she always looks...damp. I think this is really funny and, yes, well, I guess true. Loopy points out that Tobey Maguire also always looks damp, and the two of them together in Spiderman are very very damp, practically mossy.
    • To this list I would also like to add (in fact I think he should be the King of this list)--Jack Nicholson. Ugh, ick, ack, puke, arg.

  5. Saved... We saw it too... (see my post thereon if you wish, here). Anyway, the main thing is, Loopy, isn't your sister also AG? Just checking. I don't know if she ever read your diary, but I can easily imagine her doing so--no offense Sister P, if you are reading this. You know I love you.

  6. Ang is coming! No, shut up, I mean, to ASA!*** I'm so happy I could do cartwheels! I think this will be so much fun! I was so disappointed when everyone (to my knowledge) who was initially planning to go, all dropped out one by one. Of course I would love being in SF with my Loopy with or without additional company, but this will be extra fun. We had a good time there the last 2 times we went--gosh, this will be our third time together--doesn't that make you feel Old and Married? (hey, remember when we stayed in that place that was advertsised as a charming, antique-decorated B&B, and it turned out to be a musty refurbished Y with tacky flea-market furniture and a Glade plug-in feebly trying to cover the weird smells? And the whole Brazilian national soccer team was staying there, because the World Cup was in SF, but we hadn't known that...? No wait, the Brazilian team was on the GOlden Gate Bridge when we went, but it was the fans, zillions of them, who were staying in the post-Y hotel...)**** ANYWAY!!!! We're gonna have a blast! Yippee!

  7. And then there are these posts, to which I just want to say, LOL and you girls rock.


  8. Vegeschnitzel. This reminded me of a conversation I had in NYC shortly after I shaved my head. I left one chin-length strand of hair over my right temple that I usually braided (although for my wedding it was curled in a corkscrew...weird). Anyway someone stopped me on the street and asked (imagine a derisive sneer), "What do you call THAT haircut?"
    I responded, "A crew cut."
    "Oh yeah? What's ... this stuff?" (Motioning on his own head to the vicinity of the single braid).
    "That's just to show I'm not a Hare Krishna."
    "A what?"
    "A Hare Krishna."
    (Looking shocked) "A...?? well...do you still believe in God?"
    "No--er--I'm NOT a Hare Krishna."
    As Katy said... ??????

  9. And the hits keep coming... End of innocence... A "stupid pop song" it may be but I love this song, and I desperately want the version you describe, since half of those people are some of my favorite artists. (Yes, I'm a huge cheeseball, so sue me.) This also provokes a funny memory...(which I know you just can't wait to hear...)***** Anyway, one warm spring morning when I was in college, my dear roommate Amy and I were looking out the window at the courtyard in our dorm, and a guy we knew slightly flopped down and stretched out on the lawn. (He was kind of a jerk, one of those guys who thinks that insistent, oppressive, loudmouthed cynicism is a sign of brilliance and perspicacity). Anyway my roommate says, "Andrew's laying his head back on the ground..." to which I of course responded, "And letting his hair fall all around." We laughed hysterically (hey, I said we were in college, ok, give me a break)(partly it was funny because he didn't have more than 2.5 inches of hair, three at the most, and partly because he was such a snarky brat and it contrasted so with the song...). And ever since then I think of Amy and spring (and Andrew, but in a funny way) when I hear the song.

  10. A Durian by any other name... I like your name a lot too, and agree that it's "pretty and not too ordinary." On your list, I have always liked the name "Marisol" for exactly the same reason. "Luz" and "Idalis" are also cool names. But I have to ask, did your parents think you were going to be born Puerto Rican? Ok, Ok, shoot me now. As for my name... Hmmmm, thanks for the suggestion (and for reading my blog at all, I was happy!), but to me "Gin" sounds like a drink, and the Japanese pronunciation has a hard "G," and also in the context of the language it sounds kind of hard and cold--it's not a nice word like "silver" in English. It's part of the words for "bank" and other monetary-related words. But this does remind me that in Japan my friends used to call me "Jinia," which I really liked (my real name comes out in Japanese as "BAH-jinia," and "Bah" is a syllable used in words relating unfavorably to old women). And this reminds me that my above-mentioned college roommate, the indefatigable Amerina, used to call me "Ginia," which I really really liked and had totally forgotten. I miss everybody. I'm lonely. I should go to bed.

Hmmm... Did I mention I had a lot to say to Katy and Ang?

Am I lonely in Arizona? Oh yes, oh yes I am. I want to go home.


* This is supposed to be a contraction of "fabulous" + "blog" (and maybe "attitude"). It's a new word; I made it myself. I'm hoping it will catch on and everyone will say it, and then I'll feel all warm & happy.
** Ha! Ha! Ha!
*** Sorry about the stupid, adolescent joke.
**** Doesn't this sound like some stupid dream? Maybe even a made-up dream? But no, it really, actually happened.
***** And when I was three, I fell down and got an owie. (Hey, read the tag line above, it says "feel free to skim!")

No comments: