hmmmmmmmmm.......: procrastinatory pocky meditations

Thursday, July 08, 2004

procrastinatory pocky meditations

i'm supposed to be preparing my final presentation for class tomorrow. Naturally I'm blogging instead.

Loopy came home from her ultra-cool blogging girls dinner and brought me a treat--a whole bag of pocky!! unfortunately it is thai pocky and tastes really awful.

Pocky always reminds me of two strange things.

Pocky Thing One: I bought Pocky in Japan to eat on the plane to Bangkok as I headed off for my post-college Asia odyssey (whence I know that Indian Cadbury tastes awful too--I was told they put something in it to keep it from melting. I'm guessing recycled plastic. Perhaps Thai pocky has the same problem?). I know I already felt disoriented and a little freaked out, and the Pocky was a nice familiar touchstone. For some reason, I looped the plastic bag with pocky in it through my belt loop--so I had my gigantic euro-trekker backpack, my little waist pack, my passport etc stowed in my money belt under my pants, and then this plastic bag of pocky hanging off my waist like some kind of mountain-climbing equipment.

So while I was sitting on the plane waiting for takeoff, the person across the aisle from me called the flight attendant's attention to this odd-looking thing sticking out from under my chair--a small metal box thing attached to some wires. A crowd of airline personnel soon gathered to examine the thing.

I later noted in my journal that I had busily tried to look like someone who is not a terrorist sitting on a b0mb, but I wasn't sure what that non-look would be. Bizarrely, Bobby McFerrin 's latest hit tune started going through my head, but with altered words... "They find a b0mb underneath your chair, wonder who done put it there. Don't worry...be happy."

Eventually the airline personnel declared, "it's part of the chair," and dispersed. Somehow I didn't feel any more secure. I believe I ate the Pocky at that point.

Pocky Thing Two: Pocky is made by a company called "Glico." Ok, this is really bizarre, but it rhymes with "Biko," and it always used to make this song go through my head, about Steve Biko--by Sweet Honey in the Rock. I just played that song for my "teaching about Africa" class this morning. Weird.

OK, it's one a.m. and I really have to finish up my presentation! Who am I kidding--I really have to START my presentation! aak....

1 comment:

Ang said...

I often can't get that Biko song out of my head, either. Especially the "Hey, hey, whatcha gonna do with Biko!" part. The funny thing is, it sounds dumb to just bust out with "hey, hey!" in the middle of silence. But it's a good song.