hmmmmmmmmm.......: sueños animales

Thursday, July 15, 2004

sueños animales

several items on this topic:
  1. there are now more fireflies, lots more, like I remember from last year, all over the place. it's glorious. Loopy & I watched them from the hot tub tonight. (yes, this is the life!)
  2. the baby phoebes flew away the day after I took the picture. be well little birdies!
  3. last night I saw the strangest thing. I was bringing the dogs in to go to bed and I saw a shape on one of the bird feeders. Weird, I thought--either a dead bird, or a bat, or a leaf. I went to check it out with the flashlight. It was a flying squirrel!!
    (plus two more skittering around the tree). As I approached it jumped from the bird feeder to the tree (a surprising distance--I guess that's why they call it...yeah) and skittered off. As you can see from the picture, it is an eerie little creature--the big eyes give it a very creepy look. It was unnerving but also very cool. I want it to come back! but no sign of them tonight.
  4. last night I dreamed I had this beautiful chestnut horse, and I had to go into some swanky dean's office at Harvard and take some kind of IQ test, but I didn't want to leave the horse by himself. This horse acted like a dog--it was very distressed that I was inside, and it ran around outside in an agitated state trying to find me, and I kept seeing it through the windows, freaking out and trying to get in, or wandering off. I kept having to interrupt the test (which I was totally failing anyway--it was impossible--something about tartar sauce and lemon juice or something) to go and calm the horse down or try to make it comfortable. It was very funny! But also weird. Is Loopy infecting me with her MFpre-prelim panic? (For those who don't read Loopy's blog, she has to take a major exam on Aug 2 and she's, shall we say, just a tad nervous about it).
  5. our new satellite receiver finally arrived, which is like TiVo and lets us record stuff!!!, but the dogs ripped the package apart and strewed it around the yard. I hope to post a picture because I imagine it will be quite amusing if it's not YOUR receiver lying there in the dirt.
  6. I finally found out what has been eating my beloved peach-leaved bellflower... Many of the flowers are chewed right down to the stem as soon as they bloom. I had suspected some kind of insect infestation, but no, it's.......... SLUGS!!!!! eeew!!! I was out early today and caught the little monsters in the act. I hope to post a photo of a slug in a flower (I took several, photos that is). I don't like to kill them, for some reason, but I did kill one and went back to bed feeling like a destroyer of small life forms.
  7. lately a bat has been roosting in the carport where I can look up at it. They are so cute, crammed up in little spaces. I love them! Most people apparently are afraid of bats but not moths. Not me. A bat can fly right past my head without causing me the slightest alarm, but a really big moth, man, that'll send me screaming. Because, you know, bats are smart and would never fly into you, but those damn moths fly all up in your face and flutter everywhere.... aak! When I was a summer camp counselor, a moth the size of a dinner plate got into the house, and I locked myself in the bathroom until it was over. Some counselor, eh!


    nice batscary moth


And that's all I have to say about dreaming of animals, or animals' dreams...... anyway, animals at night.

No comments: