hmmmmmmmmm.......: but what's been going on OUTSIDE my head?

Friday, August 07, 2009

but what's been going on OUTSIDE my head?

Gidget jacketSo let's see. I went to a job fair a week ago. I wore the outfit at left, which I try to think of as having "retro flair" rather than being "Gidget-like." (The photo you see was actually taken so I could consider which outfit to buy... I ended up asking my psychiatrist about it because she's the best-dressed person I know. Weird, huh.)

Thanks to encouragement from my fellow inmates - excuse me, other people in my psych outpatient program - I am again looking for special ed jobs and finishing up coursework to be eligible for emergency certification.

Really, it's the best and most obvious move for me. I've always done a great job working with small groups and individual students, whereas thing I'm worst at is classroom management, i.e., making large groups of students shut up and behave.

Arrows 4I had a good lead at the job fair on another social studies job. Once again I impressed them with my social justice consciousness, my knowledge of the world, and let's not forget the Harvard degree, blah blah blah. I can sound pretty impressive when I want to.

But, I consciously didn't follow it up, despite urging from my teacher pals. I see no reason to try a third time something that didn't work the first two times. If I can do something easier, and do it well, for a while, I can always go back to trying the thing I have failed at when I have more experience.

I actually think it's good self-care that I'm choosing not to pursue something that has made me miserable, even though that's scary, even though I could end up jobless for the fall.

If I don't get a job this year, I can sub, I can work for a tutoring company, there are lots of things I can do. My crazy-camp buddies and of course my dear Bean have encouraged me to think bigger and not be scared.

OH! But did I mention - I had an interview Monday and I think they really liked me. I got the feeling I wasn't necessarily their first choice, but today I got an email saying they are checking references and will be in touch. So that means I'm still in the running!! Very exciting!

It's special ed at a pre-engineering school that takes low-income kids, including those with disabilities, and trains them for a four-year college degree in engineering. They are also ready for production-line pre-management jobs if they don't want to go to college.

This is a fantastic job for me. I've always been best at tutoring math, and that's basically what this job would be. I'm excited, did I mention that?

Fingers crossed.

3 comments:

miriam said...

Fantastic. I am so excited for this turn of events in job hunting, even if you don't get "this" job, is great. I think *not* teaching large group is very wise. Outfit not Gidget at all, total retro flair.

Just had a convo this morning with June about how important engineering is. We were talking about the Dyson company (first bag-free vacuum cleaners and now the stick-your-hands-in-the-dryer hand blow dryer machine) and a talk he gave in Britain saying that engineering needs a lot more minds being put to it, and that it is infact very important and crucial and creative.

Woot!

goblinbox said...

This is the most optimistic post EVAR!

P.S. Cute top.

nadine said...

Yay on all fronts! Fingers crossed.