hmmmmmmmmm.......: and now for something completely different...

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

and now for something completely different...

yesterday I was helping Loopy walk dogs and as I waited for her, I saw a big plant full of lovely big sprays of white flowers a few houses down, and I went to investigate. The flowers were a type of hydrangea with which I hadn't been familiar - growing in more of a cone shape than a ball. As I admired them I noticed a creature I had never seen before: the giant black wasp at left. There must have been at least ten of them all over the plant - some of them at least two inches long! After I got over my surprise at its size and color, I noticed its iridescence... there are always so many more beautiful things in the world to discover and enjoy...

In Wisconsin we used to have wasp nests all over the place. Many species parasitize harmful insects and are generally non-aggressive so we left them alone. I was going to write about their life cycle but apparently there are a bunch of different ones, and I'm running out of time to do my homework, so, 'nother time.

No comments: