hmmmmmmmmm.......: approaching anniversary

Monday, August 24, 2009

approaching anniversary

As you might have guessed, I went ahead to that Buddhist meditation retreat last week. It was really, really good in a lot of ways. More on that tomorrow.

Instead, I bring you a conversation from the bus last night, the aftermath of an honest but painful therapy session. But, honesty is a good thing. Really. It is. It felt good to be honest - like a fresh start.

Anyway:

Me: So what are we doing for our anniversary [Wednesday]?

Loopy: What do you want to do?

Me: I don't know, we could go to dinner... [discussion of dinner plans ensues]

Me: So, are we exchanging cards?

Loopy: Do you want to exchange cards?

Me: I always like cards.

Loopy: OK, I'll give you a card.

(...pause...)

Me: It might be hard to find one that says what we'd like to say.

Loopy: You mean, "I love you/hate you"?

Me: "I love you, you make me unhappy, don't ever leave me"?

(...pause...)

Me: So maybe no cards then.

letter from 1878

As long as we can laugh at ourselves, I think we're gonna be ok.

1 comment:

miriam said...

Been a long time since you posted a Loopy-Loopy dialogue. Pretty awesome, this one, beats any past ones with a stick in terms of humor and honesty.