hmmmmmmmmm.......: scene 1, take 2

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

scene 1, take 2

So I didn't even make it over there yesterday. I panicked and went into full avoidance mode. Result--still sitting at the computer in my nightgown 12 hours later. Ah well. Trying again today. On the plus side, I think I've got the panicking out of my system, at least about this initial encounter. I feel quite relaxed actually.

I've got a quote taped to my bathroom mirror about facing your fears and "do the thing you think you cannot do," along with a photo of Emma Goldman. It occurs to me that perhaps I'm allowing myself to over-dramatize all this. I mean, what's the worst that can happen? Certainly not deportation to Russia or imprisonment on Blackwell's Island (things that happened to Emma G). And hey, remember, I actually like being around kids. This could actually be fun and interesting. More likely to be so if I have the attitude that it will be. Panic doesn't help, that's for sure.

So, off I go. Trying again. Dear Shawnee wrote that a friend once commented to her, "you can start over whenever you like." So I'm starting over, hopefully not taking it all so deathly seriously. I'm also recalling a favorite quote, "how wonderful it is that no one need wait a single moment to experience true happiness." In other words if I just stop all the insanity in my head and, well, just stop, there is peace.

2 comments:

Vicky Simpleton said...

Where does that last quote come from?

birdfarm said...

the last quote comes from--I am going to spell this so, so, so wrong-- the Vietnamese Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh (?). It's in this great little book called something like "the long road leads to joy," about walking meditation. Since I have to walk for my back I thought that would be good, but I'm not diligent enough to get far. Still, it's very useful as a periodic reminder...