hmmmmmmmmm.......: Patrick O has tenure!

Monday, July 10, 2006

Patrick O has tenure!

For those of you who were in college with us and knew Patrick O... (from Catholic Student Association, BGLSA, and Dunster House) he just got tenure at Georgetown University in English! Way to go! Yay!

Leon of course is still by his side (I think that's the most enduring relationship of all my friends--what is it, sixteen years?). Patrick writes, "He seems to be enjoying working at the Washington Hospital Center, although he keeps on taking on more responsibilities (he's now the assistant program director for the entire residency program in medicine), so he works longer hours than I'd like. But I guess that's part of being a doctor's spouse." Indeed.

Remember all those years when they weren't living in the same city? I always tell people that story when they're trying to figure out whether to do a long-distance relationship... personally I couldn't hack it (as we know from the fact that I made R set up a schedule so we wouldn't be apart more than three nights all summer, with all the Chicago back-and-forthing). Before P & L's epic commuter saga, I always said that "long-distance relationships are for people who don't have the balls to admit they're really breaking up." They sure made a fool out of me! And I'm glad of it! I love you guys!

3 comments:

goblinbox said...

Yay! ONE long distance relationship that worked!

birdfarm said...

And not just long distance... they would be in the same city for a year, then apart for two, then together for six months and apart for three--it was crazy. Patrick's an academic and Leon is a doctor, and both were pretty committed to being the best possible, i.e. going wherever they needed to to get the best training etc.

I couldn't do it, but yup, it worked for them. :-)

nadine said...

Congrats Patrick!