hmmmmmmmmm.......: how desperate am I?

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

how desperate am I?

Could I teach at a Catholic school?

They start every day with prayer and go to church once a week. Religion is a required subject. And if they get sent to the principal for being bad, they have to pray with her too.

I'm already struggling with the concept of being a cog in the normally repressive/oppressive school system. Could I cope with being a cog in the extra-double-plus repressive/oppressive world of Catholicism? Supporting a system that supports the current pope, and all he has to say to the little queer children in my classes?

I applied for it, but I don't know if I could go through with it.

Of course, when I consider that this school is just 45 minutes away, and that a lot of the jobs I'm applying for are a good deal further (I'm applying for everything within 1.5 hours of home), I start to think that maybe I could put up with some praying if it meant I could get some extra sleep.

Check out the website... and let me know what you think.

3 comments:

Ang said...

In my experience, the Catholic school kids were always the rowdiest and most down-to-Earth. Something about rebellion.

I also remember they had really fantastic clothes, but that was because they wore uniforms to school and basically only needed weekend stuff. But that's beside the point. My point is, maybe the Catholic school will be different than it first seems.

goblinbox said...

If you're deeply anti-Catholic, don't take the job. Period. It'd make you a whore.

And we all know slutting is much more fun than whoring. *giggle*

I'm Hindu, myself, but I really like Catholicism. It's the Hinduism of Christianity! They've got gorgeous, expensive, gaudy decorations; there's a saint for every day which means there's a possibility for a party every day; I wasn't raised Catholic so I have no Catholic buttons installed and I find the whole thing rather gorgeous from the outside.

But if you're predisposed to find the whole thing disgusting rather than beautiful, don't take the job.

*smooch*

nadine said...

My experience with kids from catholic schools in Singapore is somewhat like ang's. Plus some of the funniest Irish Father's were teachers there. Things were a lot more prissy and annoying at the non catholic christian school that i went to. But that was the perspective of a kid who thought religion was kind of personally irrelevent and silly at the time and hadn't thought a lot about the present day socio political ramifications of those institutions.