hmmmmmmmmm.......: why i went to design school

Monday, August 01, 2005

why i went to design school

For those of you who have tuned in intermittantly over the last ten or fifteen years, and those who have just joined us recently, it may be unclear why I left my second promising career to go to night school at Parsons School of Design in NYC.

Basically it was because, when I got "stuck" in my life as a grad student, I started doing art projects continuously. So I figured that was what I wanted to be doing, so I should do it.

The problem of course is that when you do things you love for money, they aren't a whole lot of fun anymore. In fact they can become downright painful. So, farewell to my third promising career.....

Well, this summer has been kinda deja vu-ish with regard to stuckness and art projects: I took almost six hundred photos in the garden.

No, I am not exaggerating. Yes, really—almost 600. Here's one.



I flatter myself that it has a sort of Georgia O'Keeffe meets Herb Ritz kinda vibe. No, just kidding. But I do like it.

Of course, I would like it even more if I had finished everything I was supposed to do this summer. I would like to feel some degree of confidence that I could get up in the morning, decide what to do for the day, and have at least a decent shot at actually doing it.

But then I probably would have about 580 fewer photographs of flowers in my garden.

And I can't help feeling that this would be something of a loss, if only to me personally. I'm glad that I know what the inside of a poppy looks like, and now, (if you didn't before) so do you:



I learned a lot about myself this summer... but I won't bore you with that now. Instead, I'll bore (or amuse or delight) you with just one more six-hundredth of the byproduct of my procrastination/exploration....



And the beauty of it is, that even though it's 2 a.m. so I can't take photos of the garden right now, I can STILL keep procrastinating using those same photos! Wow!

I suppose......there are worse places to be than "stuck."

6 comments:

Franklin said...

You are the master-mistress of procrastination, and try as I might I will never be more than a pretender to your throne.

However, I have enjoyed procrastinating by looking at your beautifully composed flowers.

If we'd really worked together in college to procrastinate as a team, I believe we could have actually stopped time.

I thought of suggesting it back then, but I never quite got around to it.

birdfarm said...

Darling, if we put our minds to it, I bet we could actually make time go backwards.

Not that I think either of us wants to relive our past... my life gets better all the time, and so, it appears, does yours. :)

But anyway, believe me, you don't want to try to pretend to this particular throne. From all appearances, you actually work all day and accomplish things, AND still have time left over to take stunning photos (loved your Lollapalooza pix, btw!)

Although when you multiply it out, 600 photos is only about ten hours, or twenty at most, which makes me feel a bit less that I've wasted my youth or some such melodrama (and perhaps may make Loopy feel less pissed-off about all those photos...just remember, darling, I used to have to pay to have them all developed).

What's intriguing to me, as I look at your photos and those of a friend here in Madison (Miriam), is that we can have the same subject at times and yet the photos are totally different.

Babble babble, blorp blorp....

nadine said...

Gorgeous. Can you fly out here and take some photos of my baby? I suck at picture taking.

Glad that you create beauty and (I assume) have fun while you procrastinate.

birdfarm said...

You have a very photogenic baby, my dear. From the photos, I honestly think Alexa is one of the cutest babies I've ever seen--so, if your pictures are so terrible, then I can't even begin to imagine how cute she must be in real life--sounds dangerous. I would love to fly out there and take pictures of her anyway. Maybe Seattle has some kind of alternative high school for me to observe (my excuse for flying around the country in the coming year).

birdfarm said...

P.S. I should add, to the list of people whose subject matter is similar but photos are somehow entirely different, Rie's hubby John, whose work I love...

nadine said...

Ooh. Good idea.

We do have a couple of public schools with the tag "alternative". The ones I know best are elementary (they're even called alternative school #1 and alternative school #2) or middle school or k-8. I think Summit is K-12, and John Marshall High deals with kids who have had problems in the school system.

This site is a good start to look at those schools and any other schools in the Seattle area: http://schoolguide.seattletimes.nwsource.com/