hmmmmmmmmm.......: goddamn those fucking spammers!!!

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

goddamn those fucking spammers!!!

OK, I'm going to try one more thing before I turn on "word verification" (whatever that is) on my comments.

I'm going to try misspelling everything that could possibly turn up in a search--so far, the posts that generate spam are the ones that have either links or hot news item words in them.

So if you think I'm coming down with a bizarre late-blooming dyslexia, that's why.




Update: I gave up--there were too many buzzwords in the previous post. I started trying to replace the word "hurricane" with "very large round wind," which I hoped was sorta cute, but when I got to the correspondence with Sylvia and there were mentions of various states and cities, it just got illegible.

So I'll have to turn on the "word verification" thing, which I'm afraid will deter people from commenting, which would be bad because I pretty much live for comments. Agh.

3 comments:

birdfarm said...

Just checking this "word verification" thing out. I see how it works--at least there's no additional pop-up window or anything. Well, hope you don't mind it too much...

goblinbox said...

Everybody on Blogger.com is using it; you pretty much have to. It's actually somewhat surprizing that it took as long as it did for spammers to write bots that could post to Blogger. Bloggers using other interfaces (like Movabletype or WordPress) have already been fighting the comments-spam fight for a couple of years. I run special software on my server to reduce/remove comments-spam from my blogs!

Yea, it doth suck mightily. You're right about that.

birdfarm said...

Well, that answers one question.

I have the impression that the web elite types disdain Blogger for some reason, but as I've had nothing but positive expeiences with Blogger, I always wonder why.

When the spam thing started cropping up, I started to wonder if that was a Blogger problem. But apparently not. So thanks for the info!