hmmmmmmmmm.......: i:m a sucker...

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

i:m a sucker...

....for adorable Japanese animated characters...like these Nagoya expo mascots:




Of course, I now have a pen, a fan, some cookies, and a cell phone thingy that lights up when you get a call, all decorated with these guys in some form......and if the lines at the expo gift shop weren:t excessively long I would have more useless crap. I can:t help it. It:s irresistable. I know, I know, I:m an idiot.

As for the Expo itself, well, Google the damn thing if you want to know more about it; all I have to say is that it was very, very hot and I wandered about in a daze, getting badly sunburned and copying Japanese strategies for coping with heat, specifically, carry around (1) a fan--the one I used most has mickey mouse on it--and (2) a small towel--used to wipe the sweat that pours down your face; you can also periodically pour cold water on it and drape it over your head or around the back of your neck--all surprisingly effective, I might add! I amused myself with the thought that Ford Prefect would approve--cuz you know, these Japanese folks really know where their towels are. (On their heads)(But believe me, when it:s that hot, walking around with a wet towel on your head looks & feels perfectly reasonable, though I:m sure the pictures look ridiculous.)

No, that:s not all I have to say about the expo (is it ever??).

The US pavilion was truly horrifying, the India pavilion was delightful and very well done (pix to follow sometime) and I really loved watching this guy from Uzbekistan (or one of its neighbors; they were all in the same pavilion) decorate people:s cell phones for $20 with a teeny, tiny paintbrush in the most amazing patterns. (see below - something like this)


I thought about asking him to decorate my camera, but it was late & loopy was waiting...... now I kinda wish I:d done it, but anyway I took a picture and am happy with the memory, which still has me in awe.

I am so far behind with this blogging business, it:s not even funny. instead of all those towel stories & silly pictures of the little green guys, I should have been regaling you either with tales of our exploits, or with my thoughts on nationalism or collective-oriented culture............two themes I:ve been pondering during this trip....... (heaven forbid, you:re thinking, rolling your eyes--well, that:s the beauty of blogging--youdon:t have to read it!)

oh well, i don:t think the folks in Hokkaido have a computer, so I probably won:t blog again until the 23rd, when we will next re-visit this delightful little inn in Asakusa, Tokyo, with its computer in the lobby--so conveniently placed for one:s after-bath blogging pleasure...the only time you can use it uninterrupted!

o-yasumi nasai (good night).......

1 comment:

goblinbox said...

Oh, me too. I used to spend hours surfing Japanese blogs and sites just to look at the adorable graphic sensibility and colors, even though I couldn't read most of the content.