hmmmmmmmmm.......: a snail's pace is still a pace

Thursday, September 29, 2005

a snail's pace is still a pace

In other news, I am continuing to try to work at home. I concluded that all the ways of tricking myself into working (leaving the house etc) ultimately wear out. I just have to be able to work. So I'm practicing.

Tuesday I stayed home and managed to stay "on track" all day. My technique was simple: when I felt the compulsion to go "off track" (check email, eat chocolate, play with flickr, flip through catalogs, etc.) I just stopped and stood still.

To be honest, it was very uncomfortable. It was like a war in my head. But ultimately I was able to resist the compulsive feelings and then keep moving forward.

There was a lot of standing still, and when I got to the end of the day I felt that I hadn't gotten very far. But when I looked back I realized I had actually accomplished quite a bit. There was actually a fair amount of working in between bouts of standing still.



Check out this person's photos... she apparently loves snails... I will never look at a snail the same way again! Here is a small synopsis of her "Snail Love Story":



(some time later)
Mr & Mrs
Snail have
a fight
Mrs. Snail
storms off
Mr. Snail
contemplates
suicide
Reunited
& happily
ever after


3 comments:

shakha said...

First off, I LOVE THE SNAIL PHOTOS. I don't know why. But I do. Second, I'm glad you were able to get shit done. I've gotta say, I can't get ANYTHING done at home. Then again, I can't really get anything done anywhere. I just bought this wireless card for my computer. I't was the WORST purchase I've ever made. It means I can not get work done everywhere. But you do make me slightly optimistic. Perhaps I'm getting stuff done, I just don't know it. Or perhaps that's what most people would call "delusional".

birdfarm said...

Thanks Shammie. For some reason it totally made my day that you loved the snail photos.

I know what you mean about the wireless card. For me it means I can connect to Flickr anywhere. I started trying to think about coffee shops without wireless connections, and that was about when I realized I was going into too many contortions to try to trick myself into working, and it was just ridiculous.

Of course, going into town just so I can be sure to interact with someone besides Loopy and the dogs is also a worthwhile reason. It helps inspire me to get dressed and maybe even shower, too.

Ang said...

I'm startng to not be able to work even in my office. This is a baaaad sign...