hmmmmmmmmm.......: my footprint....

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

my footprint....

Check this out: click here to find out how much resources you use up. I knew it would be sobering, but wow.







CATEGORYACRES
FOOD4.2
MOBILITY5.9
SHELTER9.6
GOODS/SERVICES14.1
TOTAL FOOTPRINT34
"IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 24 ACRES PER PERSON. WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 4.5 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE ACRES PER PERSON. IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 7.6 PLANETS."


Yes, I know, it's probably very unscientific, and certainly holier-than-thou, but it's probably somewhat true, and definitely thought-provoking. The intriguing thing is I thought my big sin would come under "mobility" (gas!) but apparently it's all the meat and also processed, not-locally-grown food (all the chocolate, fig newtons, and hamburger helper) that's raising my score. According to the FAQ:

"The Food Footprint includes areas to graze animals, fish, and grow food as well as the energy to process and transport the food. A plant-based diet generally requires less land, energy, and other resources [than a diet with meat and animal products."

They do say that if I eat free-range, grass-fed meat etc that's better.

God, I am getting NOTHING ACCOMPLISHED!!!

1 comment:

Chris said...

here's me:

CATEGORY ACRES
FOOD 5.2
MOBILITY 0.5
SHELTER 5.9
GOODS/SERVICES 4.4
TOTAL FOOTPRINT 16


IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 24 ACRES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 4.5 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE ACRES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 3.6 PLANETS.