hmmmmmmmmm.......: by the way i enjoyed shrek 2

Thursday, May 27, 2004

by the way i enjoyed shrek 2

It was lots of fun. The first one was probably better but so what? I love the love story between the two main characters. It's so REAL, compared to the usual hollywood dreck, where "love" apparently is essentially the same thing as admiration + insecurity. And the whole concept is SUCH a refreshing antidote to the princess-prince charming story, which of course it's meant to be....

maybe there's a slick hollywood side to that, a sort of irony in the selling of the antidote by the same people who made the poison (just like there's some company, duPont maybe? that sells a fertilizer or some such that's a major carcinogen, and they also sell chemotherapy drugs).

But, what the hell, you can't be thinking all pomo all the time. I just had fun and enjoyed the story. I'm a sucker for gooey love stories since I have my own.

I was thinking the other day (while watching the Aragorn & Arwen scenes in The Two Towers), that when I was younger I used to watch gooey love stories with this pining angst-filled longing, but now I have my own gooey love story, it just makes me happy to see it reflected onscreen. I think the Shreks and the Aragorn-Arwen thing both have the same quality of realness that you don't often see in Hollywood love stories--i don't know what it is exactly, maybe because the two characters seem just supremely comfortable together, they fit together in some deep profound way--they really trust each other, they really know each other (unlike, as i said above, the usual hollywood couple).

Is it significant that these 2 stories are both completely imaginary and that none of the four individuals in these stories are 100% human? (counting Fiona and Aragorn as half-human) Hmmmmm............

Well my own lovey wants me to come look at a huge spider on the ceiling of the dining room. I'm pretty sure she's human and she's definitely not imaginary and I definitely love her as much as any Shrek or Elf thing. So there, hollywood *sticking my tongue out* who cares what you think.

No comments: