hmmmmmmmmm.......: signs of spring

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

signs of spring

Today he's like, half-awake. He sometimes pats my hand or reaches to hold it. It's very endearing. "He always was very cuddly," muses Loopy, who no longer cries whenever I tell her about her nephew's status.

The nephew & I always got along fine, but we were never cuddly. This evidence suggests that we feel most affectionate when at least one of us is mostly asleep. But then, that's true of so many relationships, isn't it?

He also has been moving his leg around, and sometimes even answering yes/no questions by nodding or shaking his head ("Can you hear me?" (nods 'yes') "Are you awake?" (shakes head 'no').) It's really quite exciting. As are the moments when he sleepily tries to pull out the respirator or dialysis tubes.

So, another day past and he's still with us, and I'm almost giddy as I start to believe that he may really survive this. Knock wood, a lot.

We'll see.

No comments: