hmmmmmmmmm.......: Loopy-Loopy dialogue: a double feature*

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Loopy-Loopy dialogue: a double feature*

Scene: I enter the bedroom, where Loopy is snoring with the TV remote in her hand.

Me (kissing her): You're sleeping, my darling, and you don't have your [sleep apnea CPAP machine] mask on.

Loopy: Sign in.

Me: Huh?

Loopy (louder and more distinctly): You have to sign in.

Me: To what?

Loopy: To the menu.

Me (finally getting that she's talking in her sleep): .... Why?

Loopy: So you can power it up. (She turns over with finality and burrows into the pillows, but obediently puts the CPAP mask on, still asleep).

(I can't wait til morning to see if she has any idea what that was about!)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Scene: earlier, at the gym. Joni Mitchell's "Clouds" is playing on the annoying piped-in music track.

Loopy: Ohhhhhh.... you know, I first heard this song when I was seven, and I thought that it was all about clowns.

Me (laughing): She's looked at clowns from both sides now? The round red nose side and the curly wig side?

Loopy: Yeah.

Me: And she really doesn't know clowns at all?

Loopy: Well, it made sense to me at the time--you don't really know clowns, because they wear makeup!

Me: And you just figured this out.

Loopy: Yes.

Me: Sweetie, you have this on CD.

Loopy (laughing): I know!

Me: That takes the cake. OK, you never again get to make fun of me for [thinking that OutKast's "Hey Ya" contains the line] "shake it like a corduroy preacher" or [thinking that the Indigo Girls' "Love Will Come to You" contains the line] "offer up a crystal bottle of glue."

Loopy (witheringly): I was seven. You're thirty-five.




*Whatever happened to the double feature? The last one I saw was Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan with Little Orphan Annie. Seriously.

1 comment:

miriam said...

that rocks. star trek and little orphan annie! i think they still do them at drive-ins...