hmmmmmmmmm.......: myers briggs

Saturday, February 05, 2005

myers briggs

funny, i'm fairly certain I used to be an ENFP (champion) but I have become an INFP (healer) in my old age. :-) I used to be much more extroverted than I am now--always loved a crowd, loved being the center of attention, felt happiest when my calendar was absolutely packed with social engagements--nothing better than to have dinner with a different friend every night of the week and finish up with some exciting weekend plans with as many people as possible. You can still see me acting like this sometimes, e.g. when out to dinner with a group of people, but the difference is that even though this is fun, I get tired and want to retreat. Although it may still seem that I blather on a lot, I keep a lot more in my head than I used to. I am more comfortable this way--previously it was like I needed someone's approval, like I needed to share all my thoughts with someone (anyone really), because otherwise I almost felt I didn't exist at all. So I'm not saying anything about INFPs and ENFPs in general, but for me personally, the process of changing from one to the other was a process of calming down and growing up, and I like it!

If you want to see what you are, check out the test here.

3 comments:

Rebekah Ravenscroft-Scott said...

here's what I got, luvey!
I'm an ISFJ:
Introverted(44%) Sensing (1%, whatever), Feeling (11%), and Judging (100%, oh really?).

ha, very ha...

birdfarm said...

so Luvey is either a Counselor (INFJ) or a Protector Guardian (ISFJ). (Because the difference in her S/N score was so small).

Counselors "focus on human potentials, think in terms of ethical values"--yup, there's the whole sociology thing right there--"and come easily to decisions." Yup again; it helped me understand one of the differences between me and Loopy when I realized that the reason she didn't understand how I talk about decisions, is that she never wants two things at once--or if she does, it's immediately obvious to her which she prefers or prioritizes, and so the decision is quick and finished.

Counselors also "have an unusually strong desire to contribute to the welfare of others and genuinely enjoy helping their companions." So true! It also says that while Counsleors "are not generally visible leaders," they can be influential in a behind-the-scenes way. It's true, Loopy's a good organizer... think TAA or that whole thing with The Letter (shudder).

Protector Guardians are "steadfast in their protecting, and seem fulfilled in the degree they can insure the safekeeping" of family and friends. They are sometimes reticent, which can be "misjudged" as coldness, but "in truth these Protectors are warm-hearted and sympathetic, giving happily of themselves... Their quietness ought really to be seen as an expression, not of coldness, but of their sincerity and seriousness of purpose." That's my Loveygirl, and aren't I just the luckiest girl in the world, too!!!!!

Hey Knit Wit, I bet your Lovey is a Counselor and/or Protector Guardian, too!

birdfarm said...

Hey, Knit Wit, are you sure you're a Mastermind?

I don't ask to insult your intelligence (I don't think "Mastermind" refers to intelligence per se--I don't think any of the types is supposed to be correlated more with intelligence) but because the description sounds like such a cold, ruthless, basically horrible person.

Do you really "approach reality as ...a giant chess board, always seeking strategies that have a high payoff"? Do you "trust primarily in reason" and value competence, autonomy, and strong will? That sounds like a description of the mindset that built the British empire and destroyed societies and people across the globe, anything that didn't fit the "master plan," anyone who wasn't sufficiently rational and autonomous...

Maybe there's a positive side--and if you really are one of those, then there must be a positive side--but it just seems a contrast to how you come across in person. You seem more like a champion to me. What do you think?