hmmmmmmmmm.......: I might have been hired. It's vague.

Friday, September 11, 2009

I might have been hired. It's vague.

closeupAnother possible job, where I might have already been hired. The principal is from The Gambia and perhaps because of this a lot of things are laid-back and somewhat vague. Whether I've been hired is one of them.

The job is at an alternative school like the one where I taught and worked in Madison, WI. 200-some students, very heavy social justice orientation, family atmosphere. Low-income students, students from group homes, street kids.

I would be hired as the special ed teacher and perhaps (it's vague - hand-waving was involved) teach some classes as well.

The special ed part sounds great. Most special ed departments are these mentally cramped places, where people are consumed with fear and self-defense - defending the school against lawsuits - because special ed law is so extensive and complicated, that you practically have to be a lawyer to understand and obey it all.

This sounds like it'd be a lot more laid-back.

It seems that at this school special ed is very loosely structured and construed to mean any student in trouble academically, not just those with official labels. I would move around from one class to the next working with students who needed help. (At least, that's what it sounds like - they are changing special ed around, it seems, so it's vague).

I like that. A LOT.

Unless the principal doesn't really know. It might not be legal to do it his way. We'll see what the case manager says - s/he is the one who will really know.

Teaching classes, I don't know, it's so vague, and it sounds like I'd just do whatever came up, and I'm afraid it will be all my old nightmares.

I'm excited but very scared. Is this my dream job? Or more failure? Scared, scared, scared.

But excited. I think.

Live in the gray. Live in the gray.

This is like, the school of gray. So if I'm gonna be there, I'd better get used to it.

Still... at the same time... a glimmer of hope.

first light

1 comment: