hmmmmmmmmm.......

Friday, April 21, 2006

Behind me there are two women and a baby. The baby is fussing a bit and the mother keeps saying the most irritating things.

"Normally she's such a GOOD baby, she doesn't whine like this at ALL."

"You're no fun today, you're no fun at all. And that's your only job as my baby, to be FUN. You hear? You're supposed to be FUN."

"Where's my perfect little angel? What have you done with her? Hmmmm? Where is she?"

"This is just no fun at all."

"When she's anything short of perfect I'm always asking her, 'Why aren't you perfect?'" (Turns to baby) "Why aren't you? Why aren't you?" *kissing sound* "Hmmmm? Why?"

4 comments:

goblinbox said...

Good God.

birdfarm said...

yeah, I know, right????

miriam said...

wow. i cannot believe she actually said the shit about the baby being fun.

today, in the store, a woman said to her mom "no, mom. i don't want to read the new fucking rebecca wells book (ya ya's series, the most brainless literature we have at rainbow). i want something i don't have to *think* about at *all*."
(earlier she had also turned down barbara kingsolver, the bean trees, because she has to read kingsolvers novels "like for school, ok? i am *so* not going to read that for fun!")

although i occasionally share this sentiment on different gradiations, i was shocked to hear her say it outloud, especially when she turned to me, standing next to such periodicals as the nation, progressive, mother jones and adbusters (and, ironically, clamor) and in all seriousness asked me if we carry glamor.

yeah. that's right. sometimes people say the things you think they are probably thinking. i wonder how i do that for others? cuz i am sure i do...

birdfarm said...

huh... for me that's probably when I say something about the revolution or killing someone who irritates me.

glamor. clamor. I like it.