hmmmmmmmmm.......: screaming meanies....

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

screaming meanies....

I hear you CP (aka xe).....I pretty much figured Bush would win the whole time (although the last few days I made the mistake of getting my hopes up a bit). but I figured it would be because people were massively deluded about Iraq, terrorism, etc.

What really has me bummed out today is that Bush apparently won not just on the strength of his sleight-of-hand, but on a wave of sheer meanness. I said something to Mom (in AZ)(an all-red, all-the-time kind of place) about anti-gay sentiment propelling him to victory and she didn't even try to deny it, which is unusual for her--usually she's all about denial of anything uncomfortable.

random thought: I wonder if future generations will construe "red" to mean "republican"? That will play havoc with their understanding of various twentieth-centurty texts and pheomena. "Better red than dead"?


I've watched teachers be very mean to students today too. Sometimes it really rips me up. It's been a very mean day all round. Depressing.

1 comment:

birdfarm said...

The second comment helped more than the first. the glass can be half-full instead of half-empty, you're right.

But as for stealing the election, or intentionally not fixing the problems that would cause certain ballots to be spoiled or lost, it wouldn't have been possible if Kerry had been decisively ahead. They can steal a slight edge in a couple of states, but stealing a landslide would be tougher. Kerry lost by margins of 3-to-1 and 4-to-1 in many western and southern states.

The reports of the international reaction on the BBC and Free Speech Radio News are distressing. People in Iraq and Cuba reeling, unable to believe that the US public actually re-elected Bush. "Our world is convulsed with turmoil and Bush just adds fuel to the fire," said one Cuban woman interviewed on FSRN.