hmmmmmmmmm.......

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Day Two: Palaces (northern Tehran)Tired today. Feeling slightly overwhelmed for the first time. Some part of my brain tugs me toward drama and despair, and I do recognize some of the symptoms from last year - today I wasn't ready for class, was confused about the purpose of the class, and was just casting about for something to do basically. But this was an unusual day - I am giving them a test tomorrow and had to give them one more day to study, and I didn't really have anything I needed to cover during that day.

As I type this out there's a storm of self-criticism that wants to break through (sample: you never have enough time for anything and you couldn't think of a productive way to use the day???) but, using the skills I learned this summer in IOP, I just turn away from those thoughts. Earlier I used other skills from IOP when I reminded myself that I was engaging in all-or-nothing thinking.

Am now reminding myself that generally I have been very purposeful and known exactly what I was doing and where I was going with my units. My 4th period is giving me trouble - correction - gave me trouble today, yesterday, and last Wednesday and Thursday. That's not "a bad class" or a "failure" on my part. It's a temporary issue that may or may not become a more long-term issue. I can think of several solutions. I didn't call parents today because I felt too tired by the end of the day - warning bells go off - that's how I was last year. But again I quiet them and say to myself, yes, it is something to notice, it might be a problem, but just because it happened today doesn't mean it's always going to happen or that it will be a problem.

I'm just generally tired. I guess as the year goes on my physical reserves are slowly drained, and that's just life. I think I may have to sacrifice 30 minutes of sleep for 30 minutes of exercise - I think when I was doing the daily longer dog walks, it really helped my attitude and feeling physically less tired and achy. Either that or I was less tired back then because I hadn't been working long hours for a month lol.

I feel like there's more to say but....... well. One day at a time, as I said in my previous post. One day at a time.

No comments: