hmmmmmmmmm.......: happy day

Friday, July 04, 2008

happy day

Loopy n i been spending too much time in the house stressing out, n we started fighting... (can you see the degeneration of my grammar before your very eyes? between texting, IM'ing, and spending all day every day in a classroom full of children speaking non-standard English...yeah).

Our New York trip got canceled somewhere in a fit of pique... it was probably a good decision but not made the best possible way...

So today we just took the day and spent it together - out of the house. We took the bus...I at least felt both virtuous and less insulated from the world... I love walking in the city. We went to Best Buy, the hardware store, ate gelato and belgian waffles, had a pedicure and a yummy Chinese dinner, then caught War, Inc.. It was just really pleasant to be out of the house in the sunshine, and to just be together...

The movie was much more entertaining than I had expected from the reviews. Don't expect too much from it and you won't be disappointed. It is not an incisive documentary on the Middle East - doesn't go anywhere near as far as Syriana toward trying to actually explain anything at all complex. (jesus, was it really 3 years ago that we went to Syriana with Shamus and Ang? time sure does fly... )

It's definitely more occupied with broad satire than any kind of subtlety. Has only a couple of simple points to make (war is all about corporate interests, i.e., war profiteers; all the talk of freedom and democracy is a cynical fabrication...) and it hammers them home repeatedly. But the satire, however broad, had me laughing quite a bit. There were a couple of times when Loopy and I were laughing and saying at the same time, "this is so wrong... this is so wrong..." because the jokes did get pretty sick.

It also was remarkably similar to Grosse Pointe Blank, which maybe nobody remembers but me because it's one of my all-time favorite movies. Cusack stabs a guy in the side of the head with a wine uncorking thingy instead of stabbing a guy in the neck with a ball point pen, but the female reaction is pretty much identical.

Overall I'd recommend it but you probably do have to be in the mood.

On the job front I decided to try to go into special ed. If I can get emergency certified this summer I should be able to get a job for the fall, no problem. Now that I've made the decision it seems so obvious and I'm getting excited about it, but it remains to be seen whether I can complete the online courses fast enough, etc etc. We'll see. I'm also gonna apply in the suburbs. Accept defeat gracefully.

That's all for now....

1 comment:

miriam said...

I am just catching up on your blog now that I have a new computer (groan and yay) and I appreciate the review - especially the GPB part, which we watch now and again. I'll have to check it out. Yay for doing a "staycation" and spending time out in the pretty cool city where you already live!