hmmmmmmmmm.......: greenhouse guilt & gas prices

Thursday, May 04, 2006

greenhouse guilt & gas prices

With Loopy driving back & forth to Chicago all the time, we're thinking she should get a hybrid car. She's eager to still have 4WD for Wisconsin winters. Without doing a whole lot of research we're thinking Toyota Highlander--the only Japanese hybrid 4WD, as far as we can tell.

According to this site, by switching from her current vehicle to the hybrid Highlander she would save at least*:
  • 566 gallons of gas
  • that's $1748.94 at $3.09 a gallon
  • 10,751 pounds of CO2 emissions
  • 177 pounds of CO emissions
  • 11 pounds of nitrous oxide
  • 15 pounds of hydrocarbons


*(I say "at least" because her current car is too old to be on the list so I picked a similar car.)

So that's kind of cool.

I know I was going to post about something else but I can't remember what right at the moment.... oh I'm going to Nicaragua in June and Nadine is coming to visit in July! Yay!

3 comments:

goblinbox said...

Mmm, hybrid cars!

miriam said...

i saw loopy driving *your* post-revolution award-winner car today, only she didn't see me. it threw me for such a looper - i thought it was you, and it was on university near whole foods, and...anyway. cars. yay hybrid! once, a veggie fuel enthusiast went on and on to me about how they still produce these impossible-to-kill batteries that will clog landfills for years. but i suppose most choices make waste eventually, eh?

goblinbox said...

Where are you? Did you leave early?