hmmmmmmmmm.......: babies for 'bama

Saturday, October 25, 2008

babies for 'bama

My students are SO EXCITED about the election. It is beyond expressing, how excited they are about having an African-American president (I have about 135 students and 132.5 of them are African-American). I had four classes of 13- and 14-year-olds falling over each other to ask questions about the electoral college! How often does that happen?

I had an electoral college map on the screen and they were struggling to understand it, and begging me to mouse over different states so they could see the percentages of support for Obama, how votes have gone in past elections, etc. (Here's the awesome website I use).(Note that I have an LED projector in my room - every teacher does! glory be to thee, well-funded charter school).

Did I mention... they are SO excited!

So I enjoyed seeing some photos showing the same excitement among other African-American children.





And also found this photo of an elderly supporter, who had hand-carved a walking stick he gave to Obama...



The emotion Obama evokes is amazing. Yet I think especially older people don't quite allow themselves to believe he could win. Hell, I don't allow myself to believe he could win (especially in light of disturbing reports of Republican efforts to prevent Democrats and especially African-Americans and Latinos from voting). If he doesn't, we'll all swallow our disappointment more easily, for having never really quite believed.

But what about my students? Loopy said, "If he loses, they're gonna need counseling." I don't think she's entirely wrong. I hope that people at school realize how serious a blow it will be to the kids. I wish I could shield them from it somehow.

Heh. See how much I don't allow myself to believe? What is that about anyway?

No comments: