hmmmmmmmmm.......: email update: night before the surgery

Thursday, November 02, 2006

email update: night before the surgery

So, after a quiet weekend there was an acute episode early Monday, so the pain doctor was summoned and put [Loopy] on a new medication, which made a dramatic difference. Her pain is caused by nerve constriction rather than the usual sources of pain (inflammation, swelling, bruising, broken things, etc) so the spasmodic firing of nerves is more like a seizure than like those other kinds of pain. So they put her on a seizure medication, neurontin, as well as doubling the morphine. Last night she finally got a solid night's sleep (five hours and then two more) and her usual morning misery was much shorter and less intense than usual.

So, tomorrow's the big day. Typically, they just finished all the prep a few minutes ago, giving [Loopy] only about four hours to sleep before the surgery, but she did have a nap this afternoon. Her friends had a party for her in her room with lots of wonderful food (the nurses' station appreciated the leftovers!) and her friends also have set up a schedule of people to sit with me during the surgery, which I greatly appreciate (so I kept all the dessert-y leftovers to reward you with!)(And yes, Miri, you're on the schedule :-) )

Several people have asked about the schedule for tomorrow. [Loopy] will go into pre-op at 6 am to be ready for 7:30 am surgery.

6 am in Wisconsin =
5 am in Arizona
4 am in California
noon in the UK
1 pm in Europe
9pm in Japan.

The surgery should take about four to six hours; the doctor said he would come and find me sometime between 12 and 2pm. After a couple hours in the recovery room, she will move to an ICU for safety's sake at least overnight. After my Mom was in an ICU in August I have grown to love the ICU... it feels so *safe.*

Unfortunately I won't be able to sleep in the room with her in the ICU (did I mention that since we moved to "neuro" I have an actual bed--like the one in a hotel that they wheel in for the extra guest? And I thought the chair-bed in "cardio" was cool!!)

But there are lots of places nearby where people sleep--I've seen them every night on couches in waiting areas and other nooks and crannies, and the nurses bring sheets and blankets and pillows so they look very comfy. So I will do that too at least for the first couple nights.

People were telling me to go home and not sleep here at the hospital because they thought that would be taking better care of myself, but as it turns out, I get a lot more sleep here than at home--I'm a lot happier here, and I'm around when she needs anything I'm right there (although we agreed after the first night that I would not get up in the night but rather let the nurses take care of her).

Also, the thing is that her worst times are always early in the morning, and I'm just not enough of a morning person to get up and drive here that early. I do get out during the day and go to the gym, go for walks, go out to eat (and bring back yummy stuff!), but I just am too sad and lonely to be

So anyway, about tomorrow: I've said before, the prognosis is very good, but the surgery is very delicate, but the surgeon is excellent. So we are cautiously optimistic, though that doesn't stop me from worrying. :-)

I will certainly keep everyone updated, and I have *so* appreciated your supportive emails and messages even though I haven't been able to respond to each one. It really helps. Thank you.

More amusing notes: her nurse today is Nurse Slaughter (seriously), and we've collected another name for our surgeon Dr. K___ (aka Dr. Coo and Dr. Cow): Dr. Coo-Woe.

Take care all... I feel like left out some crucial bitof information... but what was it.I'm too tired to think of it right now.

love
[me]

No comments: